- The students will know how to tune the Nyunga Nyunga and Nhare mbiras and understand how an electronic pick-up system works.
- They will learn all the basic modes on the Mbira as well as the triads and sevenths and learn how to apply them in a song and how to read mbira notation.
- They will apply the techniques in an ensemble using mbira, hosho and vocals.
- They will be able to apply the techniques they have studied in their main instrument classes and the core curriculum.
- They will understand traditional musical form including intros, the different interlocking parts – Kushaura, Kutsinhira (Kudaira) and Mahongera (Mazembera) as well as vocal techniques like Huro and Mhururu.
- They will be able to play and hold interlocking parts in an arrangement.
- They will be able to understand the form of a song and be able to play from a lead sheet in the ensemble using both instruments.
This Module has a duration of 2 semesters and consists of two courses, Main Instrument I and Ensemble IA. The contact teaching time for each course is 90 minutes per week and is evaluated through a graded test at the end of the second semester (short concert, repertoire and technical exercises).
- Emmanuel Mujuru
Total Credit Points: 20