This Module has a duration of 2 semesters and consists of two courses, Harmony II and Ear Training II. The contact teaching time for each course is 90 minutes per week and is evaluated through written and aural exams at the end of each semester.
Total Credit Points: 8
- The students will be able to identify and notate all the 9th, 11th and 13th chords in the Ionian system.
- They will be able to sing the triads contained in these chords as well as the seventh chords and their upper structure inversions.
- They will able able to identify and notate suspended chords and sing the triads and sevenths chords contained in them.
- They will understand fourth stackings and be able to build and sing sixth chords and 6/9 chords and sing them as minimal voicings with inversions.
- They will be able to identify chord progressions and the harmonic functions of the chords in these progressions.
- They will understand the overtone series and the intervals that arise from it, the origins of the pentatonic derived from the series as well as how the series gave rise to African tuning systems.
- They will be able to write all the extended chords in the Ionian system using staff notation in 4 and 5 part voicings with the correct voice-leading and good voicings.